CURIOUS, TURQUOISE, SAND, GOAT, DESERT, BLUE SKY, SEARCHER.
At the age of 13 I said to a dear fried that I wanted to learn to dance, and her mum answered: ¨María you just have birds in your head.” One year time took me to gather the courage to enroll in the weekly classes of the neighborhood club. Ever since then movement and being in contact with my body has given me confidence and courage to fight forward in difficult moments of my life.
Around the age of 20, after having started a career in Communication I decided to change path and dedicate myself to share the benefits of dance and movement with people around me. Since then I have deepened my knowledge in different disciplines: dance movement therapy, yoga, neuroscience, Gestalt, flamenco, Mindfulness, improvisation, Diafreo, 5 rhythms, Art therapy, Bioenergetic, Schema therapy… anything related to therapy, body and creativity.
Also since the age of 19 I have volunteered, with very diverse and vulnerable populations, orphan children, teenagers from difficult backgrounds, migrants and refugees, sexually abused girls and sufferers of domestic violence. More about my personal journey here.
I work as a registered Dance Movement therapist (GZ – Vaktherapeut nr: 106871) in i-psy Intercultural Psychiatry, from Parnassia Groep, an ambulant psychiatric center in Amsterdam. I give individual and group therapy.
As a freelancer in my private practice I aim to support and help individuals to improve their contact with their own bodies, develop interoceptive, communicative and expressive skills; self esteem and assertiveness; improve the emotion regulation, sexual or sleeping difficulties.
Moreover, I am creating L I B R A Z, a non profit organization to provide movement and creativity-oriented trainings to women and children who endured traumatic experiences in their lives. Read more about my social projects here.
- 90 hours course in Dialectical Behavioural Therapy from Dialexis Advies in University of Amsterdam – 10 days.
- 50 hours Schema Therapy Basic and Advanced Level with Fieke Bosma – Rotterdam – 8 days.
- Motivational Interviewing – Castricum, The Netherlands – 2 days
- Introduction to Pesso Therapy with Arnoud van Buuren – Utrecht – 7 hours
- Play therapy and Schema Therapy with Mieke Boots – 7 hours
- 20hours Trauma Sensitive Yoga from the Trauma Center in Boston. Kopenhaguen, Denmark – Three days.
- Symposium Co-creating body of knowledge – Improvisation and composition in Dance Therapy
- Medical Neuroscience Introductory course – Duke University – 13 weeks (over 120 hours of self-study)
- Training and Learning Programs for Volunteer Community Health Workers – John Hopkins University – 6 weeks
- Master in Dance Movement Therapy – Three years – Codarts Rotterdam – 2012/2015 Registration number: 106871. Check in: https://www.registervaktherapie.nl/
- Reichian Mind/Body Therapy and Dance Therapy by Johanna Climenko -Amsterdam – Two days
- III National Congress of Creative Therapies – Vitoria, Spain – Three days
- Bachelor in Communication – University of Barcelona and University of the Basque Country – 2006/2011
- +5 years of teaching creative and expressive dance workshops
- +4 years of experience as movement therapist (over 5000 hours of work)
- +8 years of Iyengar Yoga practice
- +9 years of Flamenco Dance practice
- + 16 years of several dances and movement practices (dance improvisation, active meditation, oriental dance, Gurdjeff movements, ecstatic dance, contact improvisation, 5 rhythms, Alexander Technique, Salsa, Sufi Whirling, Method Acting theater…)
“The highest and most beautiful things in life are not to be heard about, nor read about, nor seen but, if one will, are to be lived.” Soren Kierkegaard